Wednesday, August 8, 2012

From New York to LA - A Day at the Getty Museum

Yours Truly outside the J. Paul Getty Museum

Today I was lucky enough to take in the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, and what a day it was! First off, the architecture and presence of the Museum itself is absolutely stunning! I could walk around the indoor and outdoor spaces and take in the amazing architectural design all day long. Stunning combinations of glass and tumbled marble floors and walls make up this mesmerizing home to some amazing collections. 

Stunning architectural creativity

Amazing outdoor spaces

A perfect setting
Plenty of sculpture spaces

Gardens, overlooking LA and the ocean

Of course for me the crown jewel of the Getty visit was the Klimt Exhibition. Gustav Klimt has been my favorite artist since my semester spent in London while attending SU. Klimt's depiction of human suffering combined with a longing for love and happiness has always appealed to me. His geometric and organic balance (natural modeling combined with patterning) in his gold period is my favorite. 

The Exhibition consisted of prep oratory sketches for some of his most prominent works

As a graphic designer and fine artist myself. I can relate very closely to Klimt's combination of design and painting. The exhibition presented "Fish Blood" which is recognized as Klimt's greatest work of graphic design, and I felt honored to be able to see the original. Klimt worked on design for "Ver Sacrum" the art magazine published by Klimt's group The Secessionists in the mid to late 1800's.

"Fish Blood" Klimt's greatest work of graphic design

Another gem was the Alberto Giacometti sculpture in the entry lobby of the Museum. Giacometti is my favorite sculptor, I was first introduced to his work in the Tate Gallery of London in the late 1980's. He has remained my favorite and had an influence on the figure style of some of my earlier paintings. Seeing a Giacometti sculpture on my way into the Museum was a sign from the Universe that this was going to be a great day for me!

Alberto Giacometti, my favorite sculptor


The Klimt Exhibit focused on his preparatory sketches for some of his most prominent works (including The Kiss and his portraits of Adele Bloch Bauer). It is the first retrospective fully dedicated to his drawings. Klimt practiced his drawing from life every day, having models pose for him in his studio on a regular basis. This exhibition is part of the celebration for Klimt's 150th birthday on July 14, 2012. Learn more about celebrations on the city of Vienna's website.



Of course, the exhibition had its own gift shop where I did have to purchase a gold embellished coffee cup with the image of "Tree of Life" on it, to remind me of my visit, and the inspiration behind my Klimt tattoo every morning. 

Figurine of "Fulfillment" the inspiration behind my tattoo of over 20 years ago

Klimt ink on my left ankle


"Fulfillment" from "Tree of Life" by Klimt

Another featured exhibition that was quite interesting was Messerschmidt and Modernity which explores the astonishingly modern series of Character Heads created by the German Baroque artist Franz Xaver Messerschmidt (1736-1783). The exhibition demonstrates how Messerschmidt's heads have inspired the work of contemporary artist in Austria, UK, and the US.

I took in some major impressionists including Monet, Manet, Pissaro, Cezanne, Degas, and Gaugan as well. Some insanely huge names all in one room. incredible. 

A photography exhibit well worth seeing was Herb Ritts: LA Style, fashion photography that modernized the nude and transformed celebrities into icons. All black and white images, these photographic works of art were truly amazing in their creativity that went beyond just capturing an image of a pretty face.  

Hoping to make it to LACMA and a gallery or two while I am here, through the red eye back to Orlando on Saturday night. 
Stay tuned!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, I LOVE your work! Just found you online today, while doing a search for 'paper collage demonstration'... in preparation for a presentation I'm working on. WOW! Your website, blog, newsletter, etc. are all amazing! I have never collaged on top of a painted canvas, and am really looking forward to seeing your DVD. Thanks so much for sharing so much about yourself, your art and your journey! Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH Kathleen for your purchase and your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Co byście powiedzieli na propozycję wprowadzenia języka polskiego jako jedynego języka urzędowego na całej planecie?

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)