Friday, May 11, 2012

Dance and Art in the Dressing Room
In Good Spirits #1 / 24x20 / collage on birch panel

Yours Truly working amidst the costumes,  hairspray, attitudes and flat irons!

Last weekend I spent some serious time in the dressing room at ShowStoppers dance competition with my daughter Emilie. Most of my free time I spent creating a martini collage for the upcoming Atlanta Collage Society show at Mason Murer gallery in Atlanta.

On Saturday I snuck out to visit my favorite small art museum in Lakeland, The Polk Museum of Art. This gem of a museum in downtown Lakeland offers some pretty amazing shows. The first year I found it, they had Ansel Adams photography in their main gallery!

This year they were featuring Albert Paley: Sketches and Steel. While I enjoyed this exhibit, it was the children's room that gave me the most joy in my visit this year.

Jesenia Bello, "Bronze Peacock" grade 4, Kingsford Elementary

Having volunteered for years teaching art to elementary kids, I just love to see their work featured on the walls of such a wonderful museum every time I visit. How proud and excited these kids must be to hang in such a wonderful space. 

Arlene Navedo, "Circles" grade 5, Bethune Academy

Teaira Goodman, "Who's Lookin' At Me?"  grade 3, Floral Avenue Elementary


Cassidy Jimmerson, "Snowflake" grade 3, Rochelle School of the Arts

Amberly Marvin "Self Portrait" grade 5, Highland City Elementary


These are just a few of my favorite pieces in a room full of wonderful children's art from Polk County. If you ever get a chance to stop by the Museum, it's worth the trip!

3 comments:

  1. your new piece is wonderful and i love seeing the kids' work as well. my fave of the kids' is the self-portrait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth what a nice thing to do for these children to show some of their art & appreciate it can be so encouraging to little artist. Fun place.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)