Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Flamenco Feet

©2010 St.Hilaire Nelson / collage of hand painted papers on panel / 20x24

All the Flamenco music I have been listening to lately has inspired me, and all the compliments on the dancer made me want to do one more in this genre. I have been saving photos of dancing feet for a while, in hopes of capturing the spirit of dance.

My dear friend Barbara Dunham, the president of the Atlanta Collage Society,  has been encouraging me to consider an abstract approach to my style for quite some time. Barbara is a wonderful abstract collage artist herself. She said, "Elizabeth, I'm not asking you to change your style, just to consider experimenting with adding an abstract edge to it."

Well Barbara, this one is for you. I was thinking about your advice and the recent sample of Derek Gores  (another FL collage artist whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and seeing his work in person) work you sent this week when I was collaging this Flamenco skirt!

Now, does anyone speak Spanish? Need help with the title...

7 comments:

  1. Love the movement & vibe to this piece! You have been very busy! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Brava to you for taking the plunge into abstraction - you succeeded admirably!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I speak spanish... did you name this one already? I love the "bubbles"... and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bubbles too. It's about rhythm and spontaneity, dancing and dreaming... got any ideas Always Oz? I was thinking about calling it "The Red Poppy" for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, How did you make all the 'circles' in this piece ? Do you have the circle puncher ?
    Surely you didn't cut them all....... arg-arduous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I TORE all those circles! I never use scissors or hole punchers, because I want a painterly feeling.
    I'm very good at tearing, it comes with practice! Thanks so much for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those strong, keen and rythmic flamenco dance shoes. This painting is a pretty buleria's close up.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :)